BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Externship

Well I finally have something new to write about. I started my externship this week up in Latham, NY (city just outside of Albany), and I absolutely LOVE LOVE it!!!! It's called Joan's Cake Chateau and owned and run by Joan Bonnier. She is a woman in her late 60's and she does all of the decorating by herself with the occasional help of her granddaughter.
The minute I walked in on the first day she handed me a bag of buttercream and told me to decorate some fondant cutouts for some cupcakes. After that I decorated 50 cupcakes and one cake. She is an excellent teacher and really knows her stuff. Plus she gives me a ton of responsibility and trusts me do decorate on my own. On the second day I walked in and she said that she had saved a horse cake and cowboy boot cake for me since it was my area of expertise. So she just showed me what to do and then left me to it! She doesn't micromanage or hang over my shoulder the whole time. It's very encouraging to have a professional put so much trust in me. I love it!!
And for the most exciting news, as I was getting ready to leave on Saturday, Joan told me that she knew that it was supposed to be an unpaid externship but that I was doing a great job and saving her tons of time and that she wanted to pay me!!! So she is paying me $8 an hour for now which covers all my gas and my train tickets back and forth. This was a complete surprise and such an incredible blessing. Heavenly Father has truly blessed and taken care of me. I promised Heavenly Father back in April of last year that if he would let me know if coming to New York was the right thing to do then I would do whatever it took to gather the funds and come to school. And that I would trust in him to help me make ends meet and have the strength to make the transition and move, and He has truly and 150% kept his end of the deal. I'm so grateful for my blessings and for the gospel. I love what I'm doing and where I am in my life and I don't think I've ever been happier!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is so incredibly awesome! i am so proud of you, nicole. i can't believe the progress you're making not just in your career but i can see the change in your personal life as well. you can tell that you've never been happier. it sounds like this is a really big step for you and that you will go really far with it. even though we're sad that we probably won't get to see you very much ever again cause you're probably staying there, we are happy that you're happy and "in the zone". again i am so proud of you and love you so much. keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

oh, i expect to see pictures of ALL of your stuff. especially the horse and boot cakes.

The Wasek Family said...

I think Lindsay pretty much covered all of my feelings as well! Just know that we think about you all the time and love you more than you'll know.

Tawnya said...

Good for you for following your heart and your dreams! Keep doing what you're doing.

We want to see pictures of your work!