BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Written Final

Well I've had some of the family asking what kind of questions are on the written part of my finals so I thought I would post a few sample questions that were on my test today. Quiz yourself and see how much you know!!
1. What is the difference between a Genoise cake and a Chiffon Cake?
2. What temperature do you cook the simple syrup to when making an Italian Buttercream?
3. Name the two types of pastry dough that can be used when making a Napoleon?
4. What do you add to pastry cream to make a Mouselline?
5. Name two natural leaveners
6. Name two chemical leaveners
7. Name the four types of Buttercream frostings
8. To what stage do you cook creme anglaise?
9. What piece of equipment should always be used to heat chocolate?
10. Name the mixing method in making a chiffon cake






Answers:
1. A Genoise cake is a whole egg sponge cake while a Chiffon cake is spong cake using only the egg whites
2. 240 degrees
3. Phyllo and Puff Pastry
4. Whipped Cream
5. Yeast and Steam
6. Baking Powder and Baking Soda
7. Simple, Italian, Swiss, and French
8. Nappe Stage
9. Double Boiler
10. Separated Sponge Method

So how did ya'll do?????

3 comments:

The Wasek Family said...

I did know that Phyllo could be used as one of the pastry doughs for a Napoleon. That's pretty much it though! I knew that for two reasons, one is cuz Napoleons are one of my favorite desserts and two, I HATE using Phyllo!

Anonymous said...

oh my heck, the only one i knew was that yeast was a natural leavener. that's crazy!! you sure do know a lot. that's awesome! hope you did well.

Tawnya said...

Well if I had to take that test I would've flunked! I did know that you use a double broiler to heat chocolate. I'm sure you passed with flying colors!